Quick background info on myself:
- I’m a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Ricardo “Hellraiser” Teixeira and co-founder, along with my brother David, of our own system of martial arts called the Freestyle Fighting System.
- I have over seventeen years of experience in mixed martial arts, having trained in wrestling, kickboxing, and BJJ.
- I wrestled under Coach Tirso Valls who was a Division I wrestler out of Lock Haven University and Kickboxed for years under Coach Eric “El Tigre” Castanos who was a three-time kickboxing world champion and trainer to boxing world champion Jermain Taylor.
- I have traveled to Thailand and Cuba to train extensively in kickboxing and boxing respectively. In Thailand, I completed a one month Advanced Muay Thai Instructor Training Program at Tiger Muay Thai – the largest kickboxing camp in Thailand. In Cuba, I trained under Olympic Boxing Coach Carlos Miranda.
- I’m one of the owners of the Freestyle Fighting Academy (FFA) along with my brother and wife.
- I opened up FFA in 2001 – it is south Florida’s oldest MMA gym.
- FFA has two locations, in Miami and Davie, with over 1,000 students.
- As of 2011, I have coached near three hundred fights, with a record of 194-74-1 (72% win rate).
- I have coached fighters to fight on Bodogfight, EliteXC, Strikeforce, WEC, and the UFC.
- I’ve had former students appear in four different seasons of the The Ultimate Fighter (Alex “Bruce Leeroy” Caceres, Charles McCarthy, Marlon Sims, and Kimbo Slice).
- My team has sent four athletes to the ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club), which is the Olympics of submission grappling (David Avellan, Rima Avellan, Enrico Cocco, and myself).
- My brother is a four time ADCC veteran and placed 3rd in the World in ADCC 2009 Barcelona under 87kgs.
- My brother and I have produced five black belts in our system (Enrico Cocco, Leonor Cocco, Mike Bernhard, Jorge Masvidal, and John Mangual).
- I have an amateur MMA record of 7-1 and a pro record of 2-0-1. I have wrestled and grappled two to three hundred matches.
- I have won numerous grappling titles, including two national titles, with my biggest win being a shut out in the ADCC Trials, where I got the opportunity to represent the USA at the 2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships at 77kgs. My brother and I have defeated many big name black belts and world champions.
- I have coached Jason Soares (FFA Purple Belt) to win the 2011 FILA Submission Wrestling World Championships at 65kg in Serbia. Jason Soares is FFA’s first World Champion grappler.
- I am one of the head speakers for the MMA Millionaires Consulting Group – speaking in front of thousands of MMA gym owners every year. The group is headed by my business mentor, Master Lloyd Irvin.
- I am married to my beautiful wife Rima and have three children: Amira, Marcos, and Lloyd.
Ok… so if you didn’t know me, now you do! That was a quick snap shot of some of my accomplishments and credentials.
Please join my email list by submitting your information below. By putting in your info to the upper right, you will get INSTANT access more videos weekly, along with lots of tips on MMA and grappling technique, drills, psychological concepts, conditioning and diet, martial arts philosophy, and much more! You got nothing to lose, you can remove yourself from the list at any time – and it is FREE. I do this because I love teaching – that is why I do what I do. I will NOT send you JUNK! I will only send you useful info – check it out!